Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Dance mania

Went to Vivo with lao gong today and "stumbled upon" a group of china dance troupe performing traditional cinese tribal dances!!! It was so beautiful except for a few mistakes (think they will get a very good lashing from their dance instructors after the performance has ended). I was so enticed by it that I wanted to dance on the spot!!! HAHA. Now lao gong finally knows what kind of dances I like. She even said she can imagine me dancing traditional dances, instead of hip hop. HAHA. Which is quite true, I also cannot really picture myself doing hip hop, despite having attended dance mtv mix class last year. I always almost burst out laughing when I look at myself in the mirror because the dance room was all mirrors!! I was so super small size, and so skinny and with so long long long hair, that I look more like dancing either indian or chinese traditional dance, rather than dancing hip hop and jazz!!! So in the end, I seriously think it was a skeleton dancing hip hop and jazz!!!!! I seriously want to learn dancing. I was all set to learn dancing in a proper dancing school after graduating from jc, but Singapore did not offer any dance courses that really cater to my interests. At that point of time, I wanted to go to China and learn dancing, or India, but end up, in NUS. Sian. Haiz.

Lao gong and me were chatting when I asked her what would she like to be if she's born in ancient korea? She said rich man's daughter. My answer is totally opposite from her, and perhaps most of you would be shocked at my answer. I want to be a courtesan (gisaeng) in ancient korea. Because in Korea, only a gisaeng is able to learn arts, as in literature, calligraphy, music and dance. And I would trade anything and give up anything just to learn dancing, even till now. But if in ancient China, I would want to be a rich man's daughter, preferably a high ranking officer's daughter. Because I also get to learn all the arts and music and maybe dancing too (behind the back of my father, hahaha, Perhaps I might sneak into a brothel or dancing school to learn from the courtesans or dance instructors). But in Japan, I would rather be a peasant girl. In this case, I would not want to be a geisha because I don't like Japanese dancing. And if born into a rich man's family, girls are treated like goods and "sold or married off" to other noble family which I never like. Unlike Chinese dance, all other traditional dance are quite restricted in their movements and styles and costumes. India, the main costume is the sari, change here and there, still the same old thing. Japan nothing to change. Korea, although can change and alter their costumes but still same piece of hanbok. But Chinese dance on the other hand, is super flexible and it has many types because of the various tribal groups in China. And their costumes are so aplenty!!!! 简直是舞和服装包罗万象!!!That's why I love Chinese dance. But I doubt I am able to make my wish come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home